Tank won't refill unless....

Users who are viewing this thread

ed52

Reaction score
I've never seen this before and it has me completely stumped. I've replaced many toilet innards...even installed one by myself...so I'm not a newbie.

We have a normal toilet...flushes just fine...everything seems to work just fine.

Recently...we noticed...the tank would not refill after a flush. After much head scratching...and as I'm staring into the tank...the wife reaches over to run the water in the bathroom sink for something else...and the toilet starts filling!

To make a long story short...that's our current work-around...the toilet doesn't refill unless we turn the bathroom sink faucet on/off real quick. Sometimes just once...other times three or four times and then the toilet tank will start filling.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a fluidmaster fill valve or ballcock style? The ballcock style have a little adjusting screw on top that may need to be adjusted.

It's also possible that something may be blocking the fill valve from opening up. Have you tried adjusting its position inside the tank? The change in water pressure is no doubt what causes the fill valve to "unstick."

ed52

Reaction score
Terry said:
It sounds like a sticking fill valve.

What brand fill valve do you have?

It says "Brass Craft" on the face of the knob.

ed52

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Do you have a fluidmaster fill valve or ballcock style? The ballcock style have a little adjusting screw on top that may need to be adjusted.

It's also possible that something may be blocking the fill valve from opening up. Have you tried adjusting its position inside the tank? The change in water pressure is no doubt what causes the fill valve to "unstick."

I think its called a "float cup."

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fill Valve

If nothing is impeding the "float cup" then it may be time to replace the fill valve. Have you tried manually moving it up and down to try to unstick it?

How clean is that tank? If there's a buildup of minerals or some other crud, it might cause your fill valve to stick.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Just replace the fill valve and be done with it. If the supply line is not a braded stainless one replace that also.

ed52

Reaction score
Cass said:
Just replace the fill valve and be done with it. If the supply line is not a braded stainless one replace that also.

Uh oh...advice from a Bengal fan. I'm conflicted. :D

Yeah...that's kinda the conclusion I came to...going to do it today. I'll let you know how it goes.

ed52

Reaction score
ed52 said:
Uh oh...advice from a Bengal fan. I'm conflicted. :D

Yeah...that's kinda the conclusion I came to...going to do it today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Replace the old fill valve with a new Fluid Master and that seemed to do the trick. Still don't understand the whole water pressure problem it was causing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks