Tank won't climb above 30lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Michelle-YYZ

Reaction score
Hi

Hoping someone can confirm or refute a possible solution.

New 3/4hp jet pump (shallow well), New 81gal (yes, greedy) pressure tank. Switch set 20/40.

output from pump is 1", intake to tank is 1-1/4". Output from tank stepped down 1-1/4" to 3/4".

Lots of water to pull from. Line is in the lake, 6' depth. Gage appears accurate - slow gentle pressure loss when opening taps. Run the pump, the pressure climbs to 30-32 lbs MAX and will climb even is running water elsewhere (laundry, bathroom).

Pressure tank just wont climb above about 30lbs - therefore pump doesn't make it to the cut-out pressure.

Could it be the pressure tank just isn't getting enough volume of water because of the 1" line? If I increase my line to 1-1/4" - think that might resolve the issue?

Never had any issues with a 1/2 hp jet pump and 20 gal pressure tank combo.

Stumped. Nobody reputable in my area to reach out to. Hacks with less skill than we have.

Reach4

Reaction score
Never worked right, or stopped being able to reach the high pressure?

How high is the pump (altitude) with respect to the surface of the lake? Should be no more than 20 ft.

Maybe a clogged jet? See reply on https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/shallow-well-spring-pump-problem.60328/

Going to bigger suction line will not help, unless there is a suction leak that gets fixed in the process. A suction leak above water would be a problem.

I have no experience on this.

Michelle-YYZ

Reaction score
Never worked right, or stopped being able to reach the high pressure?

How high is the pump (altitude) with respect to the surface of the lake? Should be no more than 20 ft.

Maybe a clogged jet? See reply on https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/shallow-well-spring-pump-problem.60328/

Going to bigger suction line will not help, unless there is a suction leak that gets fixed in the process. A suction leak above water would be a problem.

I have no experience on this.

Thanks for the feedback. Cannot be a leak above water line. Pump holds prime 100%. Was thinking about the feed between pump and tank.
This is a new install, will check for a clogged jet in the meanwhile. Total head about 20 ft. Reiterate - had zero issues with a 1/2hp/20gal combination for 10 years. This shiny new setup is making me weary. Thank-you again.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Post a pic if you can.

If you've got all the air out and it still won't build over 32 ps, the jet is plugged. East fix, remove the 1/2 plug below the suction line and push a straight wire coat hanger into the hole and through the jet to clear it. A small, long, thin screwdriver works too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks