tank valve - momentary water release

Users who are viewing this thread

lhoward145

Reaction score
Every once in awhile, one of our toilet tank valves will release a short burst of water. This lasts no longer than 1/4 second. Of course, this wakes us up at night. The water level is at the proper level and is about 1" below the overflow. The float is not water logged and floats the way it should.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Momentary increases in water pressure will override the water level in the tank and open the valve. A valve without a float ball may help, although it could also respond to pressure changes. A recording pressure gauge might tell you if you are getting spikes, assuming it is sensitive enough to respond to a quick momentary increase. ALL fill valves shut off when the actuator is balanced by the incoming pressure and the force on the closing device. Increasing the incoming pressure, or decreasing the closing pressure will open the valve.

lhoward145

Reaction score
All of our toilets (3) are the same manufacturer and made the same. Only one unit has the problem.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
A slow leak will cause the symptoms you describe

Next time you go to bed, put some food coloring in the tank, and see if the water in the bowl is colored in the morning, indicating a leak. Maybe some crud between the flapper and the tank, old, hard flapper, taut chain to flapper, whatever.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My time is cheap, and I stole that tip from someone else on this forum, I'm pretty sure, but you're welcome. It should be obvious that this test works any time, not just overnight, so if you're all excited about it you could do it now. Of course, the first flush screws everything up, so you need a long period of inactivity to allow the food coloring to make itself known in the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks