Tank to toilet gasket with two holes on side to hold tank

Users who are viewing this thread

xnaron

Reaction score
I've got what I thought were american standard toilets (labels wore off) but the inside of the tank is stamped Briggs. I've got two cracked flush valve stems and need to replace. I took the tank off and noticed the tank to toilet gasket has two ears which the bolts that hold the tank to the toilet go through. All of the replacment gaskets I have seen do not have this. I want to replace the flush vavles with Korky brand ones. I have to wait till Tuesday to see if the distributor has the Korky ones. Big box stores don't carry Korky in Canada (too bad).

Anyhow am I going to have an issue using the gasket that comes with the Korky? Should I just cut the ears off the old gasket and use them on the bolts between the tank and the toilet? I've got the Korky fill valves and since I am replacing the flush valves I thought I would go with Korky but they are hard to find here. Would I be ok with a universal replacement one from home depot or should I wait till Tuesday and see if I can get the Korky?

thanks,
Brendin

Attachments

• CIMG1006.res.jpg
    CIMG1006.res.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,110
  • CIMG1007.res.jpg
    CIMG1007.res.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,906
  • CIMG1008.res.jpg
    CIMG1008.res.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,592
  • CIMG1009.res.jpg
    CIMG1009.res.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,131
Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Toilet Tank

If thats the gasket that came with the tank I would use it the way it came. Modifying may cause probs., use it the way the manufactor wants. :)

xnaron

Reaction score
If thats the gasket that came with the tank I would use it the way it came. Modifying may cause probs., use it the way the manufactor wants. :)

The gasket is shot...the toilet is 5 years old. I tried to reuse it and it leaked. I bought a fluidmaster flush valve to try and the gasket doesn't fit it. I can see now that the only purpose the ears server is to hold the bolts in the tank so it is a little easier to attach the tank to the toilet. I can see them when the tank is on and they are not there for a seal as they don't touch anything on the bottom. When they first installed the tank they didn't use any nuts on the bolts between the tank and the toilet. Only nuts underneath the toilet. I always have seen the tanks have nuts holding the bolts to the tank and then another set of nuts is used on the bolts to hold the tank to the toilet. Any of you plumbers out there care to comment I'd really appreciate it.

The problem is I don't know for sure what kind of toilet this is. Should I just buy a gasket that fits the bottom of the flush valve and try that?

thanks,
Brendin

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You can use a standard Tank to bowl gasket and bolt set. When I put in Kohler water closets and they have the triangle gasket , I toss it out and put a standard tank to bowl set in. Just ensure the replacement gasket is as thick or a little thicker than the one you are replacing.

Attachments

• tanktobowl.gif
    tanktobowl.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,513

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The bolt the kit pictured has 4 rubber washers and 4 nuts and 4 steel washers. Put one of the rubber washer on the bolt and pass the bolt through the tank then put the other washer on the bolt and along with a steel washer and a nut and tighten. Once you have both bolts attached to the tank then put the tank to bowl gasket over the flush valve and set the tank on the bowl. I use another rubber washer here with a steel washer and a nut.

Attachments

• tank_bowl_bolt.jpg
    tank_bowl_bolt.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,522
  • tank_to_bowl_bolt_loose.jpg
    tank_to_bowl_bolt_loose.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,597
  • tank_to_bowl_bolt.jpg
    tank_to_bowl_bolt.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,650
  • tank_to_bowl_bolt_finish.jpg
    tank_to_bowl_bolt_finish.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,538

xnaron

Reaction score
Thanks very much...When my house was built the economy was starting to boom and I'm not sure an actual plumber came and installed all the toilets. I looked at the other ones and they are missing the nut between the tank and the toilet. I'm surprised they haven't leaked. Unless this Briggs toilet isn't supposed to have a nut in between but I can't see why it wouldn't. There is plenty of room for a nut and washers in between. Looking at the foam gasket again I think I can reuse it as the old flush valve nut fits on the new one and allows the foam to seat better.

Brendin

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Those triangle Kohler gaskets leak¿ Haven't had any callbacks on 'em. Drat, am I defending Kohler¿ :eek:

portolet.jpg

xnaron

Reaction score
I replaced the flush valve with new units in two of the toilets and used new foam gaskets and new bolts and washers. Got them both put back together and I put some die into the tanks to check for leaks. 20 minutes later I see the die in the bowl??? What gives...trying another flapper but yeesh two brand new flush valves with flappers leaking? Maybe I didn't tighten the nut on the flush valve tight enough? Weird that would happen on both toilets though. I am going to find those Korky Flush Valves. I have a TOTO drake in the basement at least a year old. Put die in the tank and it never leaked into the bowl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolts

VERY, very few manufacturers send nuts for the bottom of the tank, and in some cases, they interfere with the tank sealing properly. The second nut is usually a repair man's addition to prevent the leak from happening again.

xnaron

Reaction score
VERY, very few manufacturers send nuts for the bottom of the tank, and in some cases, they interfere with the tank sealing properly. The second nut is usually a repair man's addition to prevent the leak from happening again.

thanks good to know...makes me feel better about the last one that doesn't have the nuts underneath.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks