Tank to bowl bolt order of assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikemonica

Sales Manger
Reaction score
I have installed my toilet since I did a bathroom remodel, I am having a horrible time with a ver small leak at one of the tank to bowl bolts. So far tightening has not stopped it. I installed the bolts through the tank from the inside, rubber washer flush with the tank, metal washer between the bolt head and rubber washer. Did the same underneath the tank and tightened. Set this on the bowl with a new spud gasket, tightened the tank from side to side using wing nuts. I have seen some people say that I should NOT use a metal washer between the bolt head and rubber washer inside the tank and I should NOT use a rubber washer on the bottom side of the tank. Can anyone walk me through the proper sequence of installing these tank to bowl bolts and washers so that I can stop this annoying leak? Thank you very much in advance for any help that you can provide. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure the inside of the tank where the bolt drops through is smooth.
A little emory cloth helps here.
Slide the rubber washer onto the bolt.
Drop the bolt through the hole in the tank.
Now set the tank on the bowl.
Where the bolt comes through the bowl, hold the metal washer up and then thread on the nut.
Nothing else is added.

titan_tank_bolt.jpg

Last edited:

Mikemonica

Sales Manger
Reaction score
Further clarification

Thank you Terry,

Are you telling me NO metal washer between the bolt head and rubber washer and NO rubber washer on the bottom side of the tank? Also would it help to run a bead of silicone around the edge of the rubber washer? Thanks!

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
No metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber washer. No rubber washer on the bottom side of the tank. I've never had to use anything but the bolts, rubber washer, metal washers and nuts on toilet tanks....no silicone required.

Good luck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolt

When you put a metal washer next to the bolt head, there is nothing to seal the joint between the two, and you cannot tighten it enough to make a tight metal to metal seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks