Reach4

Reaction score
Here are three tanks in series:

BaffleTank.png

Snoozo

Reaction score
Here are three tanks in series:

BaffleTank.png

My tank has inlet and outlet at the bottom. I was thinking on coming out of the outlet and into a pressure tank tee fitting which would be screwed into a pressure tank. Wanted to let the old tank waterlogged so I wouldn't have to keep filling it. This would work but I don't believe draw down is increased unless I keep air in the old tank. Now that I think about it. I don't think parallel piping would do anything for me either.

Unless because the old tank is much taller than the new tank some water would transfer like maybe by gravity,till they level?

But then I think about the straw removed from a glass /finger over end.
I can't see how water would leave the first tank without air replacing it and it can't be vented if water logged.

Reach4

Reaction score
I posted the picture to illustrate "in series". I would put 2 pressure tanks in parallel.

Last edited:

Snoozo

Reaction score
Ok so then it would seem the way I was going to do it must be considered in parallel. I think the single inlet outlet tee on a pressure tank confuses me since my galvanized tank has seperate inlet an outlet.

I guess I will keep the original tank pressurized maybe add a pressure tank and then not have to worry about short cycling if original tank waterlogs cuz I'm not paying attention.

First I think I will remove the other giant galvanized holding tank (with no provisions for adding air) that is after this one and right before the hot water heater,which can't be doing anything other than acting as a giant pipe and possibly tempering water.

The cold supply goes into the tank then comes out and goes to the hw heater cold inlet. I can't figure the reason it's there.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those tanks will work in parallel. The pump will put water into both at the same time. You just have to add air to the standard tank to keep it from waterlogging, and you don’t add air to a bladder tank. So they are not usually used in parallel for that reason.

Normally there is an air injector used with the standard tank, and this would put air in the bladder tank as well, which isn’t a good thing. But if you don’t have a bleeder or air injector, adding a bladder tank in parallel might be a good idea. Because the bladder tank would still have some air in it even when you forget to add air to standard tank. This might save you from rapid cycling the pump to death with a waterlogged tank.

But then again, if you have a bladder tank, you don't need another one. If you have iron or sulfur in the water you will start to see it when you switch to the bladder style tank.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Do these galvanized tanks have anode rods like water heaters?

No, but if they did, they would last 40 years - just what the MFG. does not want. I notice my sears tank has a 3/4" plug in the top that would take an anode nicely. If only I had the time to put it in...

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have a plain tank with the air intake valve and drain down valve right next to the tank. Put a loop of pipe to determine the amount of air added. works great. you can catch the small amount of drain down water in a pan or run it to a drain.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No, but if they did, they would last 40 years - just what the MFG. does not want. I notice my sears tank has a 3/4" plug in the top that would take an anode nicely. If only I had the time to put it in...

Most of the time that ¾ hole on top of a tank doesn’t go all the way into the tank. It is usually just a welded on fitting to hang the tank for painting or dipping in galvanized solution.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you not understand that the galv. coating IS an anode? On the whole tank? Most of the tanks I deal with do last 20+ years. If the water is bad (low pH), they last about 10. Putting a little air space under them helps.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you not understand that the galv. coating IS an anode? On the whole tank?

It would be nice if that built-in anode coating could be supplemented with a replaceable magnesium anode or a powered anode for extended life.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, only getting 60-70 years out of a tank. What a rip-off!!

In all seriousness I bet you could probably install one through the side fitting. Would not be hard at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks