Tank ball / seat not sealing = leak

Users who are viewing this thread

jaypee

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an old American Standard ter-let (like we say in Brooklyn) that has a slow leak at the ball / seat. The seat is copper, i tried 5 different balls. I also tried gently steel wooling (med then fine) the seat but this does not have much of an effect on the seat surface :eek: . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sanding stone

steel wool aint gonna cut it.

go get a sanding stone and try to get the rough spots out of the brass with it.
Basically its the type that you use to sharpen a knife, its about 1 1/2 by 5 long and about an inch thick.

Just lay it down on the brass ring and start
scaapeing it back and forth till you get a nice shiny base for the flapper or ball to seat down on.

Be very careful not to break off or damage the brass overflow tube coming up .

Sometimes its better to install a flat flapper type of seal on the older brass
types like this once you have sanded it down to where it has a really flat surface.

index.php

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

AA tank ball seals to the inner surface of the flush valve, so unless you have a Douglas Valve resurfacer you will not get the proper shape by grinding it. Either smooth the surface and use a flapper, assuming yours is not an American Standard valve with the high "boss" that does not allow a flapper to slide down far enough to seat properly, or use a Fluidmaster #555 kit that glues a new seat and hinge to the existing surface.

jaypee

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys! Can I use just the seal from that repair kit giving me a new surface for the current system (ball) to seal against? thanks

Last edited:

jaypee

Reaction score
OK thanks, I thought that it may have been a gasket that bonded to the existing bad seat surface. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks