Tank air pressure for non bladder water tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by DonL, Jan 1, 2012.

1. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

No gauge on the tank. Mine is mounted on the Pressure Regulator that controls the jet pressure.

When the pump is off , I would think that it is reading the tank pressure.

I could add another meter, but would have to worry about it freezing.

I have a heat tape to keep the regulator and Pressure switch from freezing.
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If you mount it high enough on the tank, it will be full of air so freezing would not be a problem unless you waterlog the tank. I have 3 gauges. My EPS15/99 shows the pressure via LED segment display, I have a gauge Tee'd off the switch, and I have a gauge Tee'd off the schrader at the top of the tank. All 3 read different. Chinese quality at its best.
  3. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Not so. But its a bit of an art to do a pre pressure with the water at the right level. AND count on it going down daily as the air absorbs into the water. If you have a 40 to 60 switch, and pressure to 35, you have about the same capacity as a bladder tank with its enormous draw down for cheap. the difference is the absorbtion and the fact that you loose all the air when the power goes out. Do it - tested it. works.

But that is quite true. The float release is designed for submersibles.