tamper proof receptacles

Users who are viewing this thread

monkeybrains

Reaction score
Is any one brand of tamper proof devices better than another? Are the devices you find in the big box stores(brand for brand) typically the same that you would find in an electrical supply house? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Making something "tamper proof" would require an enclosure of some kind. The devices, i.e., switches and receptacles, are not tamper proof by them selves, at least depending on what you mean by "tamper proof".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are good, better, best available in any line (and you may not have access to all of those at the big box store - check an electrical supply house and the manufacturer's website to determine what's what). More money buys you a more robust internal construction, not necessarily for their shutter mechanism, but for the electrical contact size and thickness. Depending on where you live, they began to be required in 2008.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Making something "tamper proof" would require an enclosure of some kind. The devices, i.e., switches and receptacles, are not tamper proof by them selves, at least depending on what you mean by "tamper proof".

hj you are a little behind the time on this one! The electrical code for new contstruction now requires most receptacles to be tamper proof ( interpret this as child-resistant). All the major brands make such devices. They have a shutter across the blade openings, and will only open when a blade is inserted into BOTH at the same time. A child trying to poke something in to one side....it does not go.

Just an example: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/e...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CLiXqaTg9q4CFYub7QodDDr1xw

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not consider "childproof" the same a "tamper proof". My interpretation of "tamper proof" is "vandal proof". But they have been designing "childproof" outlets for decades. Some of the earliest ones "interlocked" the hot and neutral slots mechanically so you had to stick objects into both openings before the power would flow.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
The code uses the term "tamper resistant" for the devices with the shutters to prevent things like keys being inserted into the receptacles.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
NOTHING is vandal proof! Vandals have a school that teaches them how to deal with "vandal proof" gizmos!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Incorrect, 2 large german shepherds in the yard make all the surroundings 'tamper resistant' and 'vandal proof'.

And that sign with the revolver AND a dog that says mind the dogs AND the owner, sends all vandals to the guy with a parakeet next door. For best results, hand paint the sign with a bad brush on the end of a rusty 55 gallon drum.

I had a trail on a property that the dope growers were using, and one of those full size body targets full of holes and a note about trespassers on it soon solved the issue.

Reaction score
Incorrect, 2 large german shepherds in the yard make all the surroundings 'tamper resistant' and 'vandal proof'.

And that sign with the revolver AND a dog that says mind the dogs AND the owner, sends all vandals to the guy with a parakeet next door. For best results, hand paint the sign with a bad brush on the end of a rusty 55 gallon drum.

I had a trail on a property that the dope growers were using, and one of those full size body targets full of holes and a note about trespassers on it soon solved the issue.

Dogs are easily managed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks