Tale of 2 toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

rph52

Reaction score
I have two 1.6 gallon Toto Drake toilets, both about 7 years old. One works perfectly. The other one clogs a fair amount. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. I checked the water level and the one that clogs is 5" from top to water, while the one that doesn't clog is 4.5 inches from top to water, so it holds slightly more water.

One flapper is Toto (one that clogs) while the other one is Korky, must have replaced it.

I don't believe my sewer line to the street has any issues, otherwise both toilets would have issues. The one that clogs is hallway, with tub/vanity, and used most often.

We have an indoor washer/dryer (converted garage) and that has a slight odor when the water drains into the tub. That has needed snaking from time to time as well as the hallway vanity. I finally bought an electric snake and it works well. House built 1955.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the distance from the rim to the water in the bowl.

Try sticking a level on the rim of the two toilets to see if one is tilted.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If one clogs more, there may be something in the trapway slowing things down. We will use a closet auger with the large end to clear those.

auger_01.jpg

My son Jamie holding an auger.

gi_joe.jpg

Sometimes we find toys. More often pens or pencils.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The poorly-performing one might not be refilling sufficiently, judging from your comments (and assuming that it's level, as Reach points out). Slowly pour a couple of glasses of water into the bowl. Slowly. The water level will rise a bit, and then slowly settle, as the excess water slowly goes over the weir of the trap. If the "settle point" is higher than it was after refilling, not enough water is going down the refill hose. If that's the case, come back and we will help you fix that (easy). Also, if that's the case and you can, shoot us a picture of the inside of the poorly-performing toilet's tank. It will reduce the number of questions we ask.

rph52

Reaction score
I think the solution is to buy the Ridgid auger. The toilets are level. The problem is probably more the nature of the waste than anything, if you get my drift. I have instructed my son on the importance of regularity. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the solution is to buy the Ridgid auger. The toilets are level. The problem is probably more the nature of the waste than anything, if you get my drift. I have instructed my son on the importance of regularity. Thanks.
It could be a difference in paper use too. Suggest that he try a flush before beginning the paper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks