Takagi TK3 error code 111

Users who are viewing this thread

jack dempsey

Reaction score
Cheers,

I had a TK3 installed in 2008. It is a propane unit and has worked just fine until yesterday. It is located in our vacation home, is used all Summer and a number of weeks throughout the rest of the year. I use a small air compressor to winterize / blow out household water lines. Takagi's electric is turned off during the winterizing process. I also take special care in opening and draining water inlet and outlet pipes of the Takagi unit. Also clean the TK3 filter.

Yesterday we had no hot water. I read the users guide and found the error code 111 blinking on the TK3.
I have placed a call to the company which installed the TK3 to see if they service the unit, or can provide the name of a local plumber familiar with the TK3 (waiting for a return call). From the error code, it seems the problem is the ignitor.

I also placed a call to Takagi support. After waiting on hold with no answer. Put my name and number into the return call queue. No call back yet (it is the next day, and plan on calling again today). I've readl on this forum, their support is very good.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, and on the internet found a supplier where the ignitor can be purchased for $15.

My question: Is it difficult to gain access to the ignitor and replace it? I have located the ignitor from the schematics and believe I can see it on the right side of the unit. Is it just: Get to the bad ignitor, remove the defective part and replace it with a new one? I have replaced the ignitor on a couple of kitchen stoves and that seemed simple enough.

I would take digital photos to help me put everything back together, and would wait to speak with support people from Takagi before proceeding.

Just looking for additional feedback, help, tips from the Forum
Thanks in advance for any support advice

jack

jack dempsey

Reaction score
Cheers,

Just heard back from Takagi support. The 111 code, indicates ignition issues, not necessarily ignitor. I need to descale the unit. I have read about this on the forum, and TK3 tech support is emailing me instructions on how to perform the maintenance. If anyone on the forum can offer tips / suggestions regarding the descaling process. Much appreciated. Thanks again
jack

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Cheers,

Just heard back from Takagi support. The 111 code, indicates ignition issues, not necessarily ignitor. I need to descale the unit. I have read about this on the forum, and TK3 tech support is emailing me instructions on how to perform the maintenance. If anyone on the forum can offer tips / suggestions regarding the descaling process. Much appreciated. Thanks again
jack

Most people use a small recirculating pump for descaling.

Not sure how that would affect ignition, unless it is overheating.

I would suspect a Flue problem first.

Is it lighting ? If not it Could be the ignitor needs cleaned.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks