Takagi TK1S troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

jtdodge

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for reading this.

I have a Takagi TK1S. It does not have a warranty and is discontinued, but it has been a pretty great device for quite a while.

I live in Vermont and the other night it got to about 15 below. You know the story :) - The Outside exhaust eliminator was leaning door open and the heat exchanger froze. (The warranty would have not been useful here anyway)

So I was blow drying the heat exchanger and as the line cleared it blew out one of those 1/2 inch 180 degree elbows on the side of the heat exchanger. I have since fixed this. Not great, but fixed.

Well now I don't see a spark when I initiate by turning the faucet on. The fan comes on, it sounds strong, but no spark in the little eye glass.

My father-in-law mentioned once he saw black smoke come out of the vent. And my wife mentioned on more than one occasion that the water would change in temp and drop a few degrees, then come again strong. I had never experienced this, that I had noticed. So that's a little background.

Thanks for any input.

TK-RE01 remote error code: 11

John (vermont)

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for reading this.

I have a Takagi TK1S. It does not have a warranty and is discontinued, but it has been a pretty great device for quite a while.

I live in Vermont and the other night it got to about 15 below. You know the story :) - The Outside exhaust eliminator was leaning door open and the heat exchanger froze. (The warranty would have not been useful here anyway)

So I was blow drying the heat exchanger and as the line cleared it blew out one of those 1/2 inch 180 degree elbows on the side of the heat exchanger. I have since fixed this. Not great, but fixed.

Well now I don't see a spark when I initiate by turning the faucet on. The fan comes on, it sounds strong, but no spark in the little eye glass.

My father-in-law mentioned once he saw black smoke come out of the vent. And my wife mentioned on more than one occasion that the water would change in temp and drop a few degrees, then come again strong. I had never experienced this, that I had noticed. So that's a little background.

Thanks for any input.

TK-RE01 remote error code: 11

John (vermont)

Error code 11 indicates an ignition failure detected. According to the manual the parts to check are:

Computer, Igniter, Flame rod,
gas valve, gas resource

Even if you figured out to a high degree of certainty what had failed, for the money you'd spend digging up replacement parts might be able to find a fully functional replacement unit- either another TK1, or TK2 or KD20, which are practically drop-in replacements, on **** or something. But your odds are better finding something quickly would be a web-deal on a Takagi T-K Jr, which is similar enough that it would simplify the installation somewhat. (But it's not a drop-in.)

jtdodge

Reaction score
New one isn't an option for me just yet.

This is really the first issue I've had

I did some trouble shooting with the manual for the TK1S and it mentionted the GFCI switch. It said push the button and the light should turn on red. if it didn't turn on then there is a problem with the electrical connection. It turned on okay.

Then it said hit the "reset button" and the the red light should go off on the GFCI switch and another red light (LED) should go "on" on the circuit plate.It doesn't go on. The connections look like they are well seated.

Thoughts? ...and thanks much.

-John

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Yep, it's probably toast, and a web-auction/surplus NEW replacement unit is likely to be cheaper & quicker than chasing down the parts and hoping something else isn't also toast & causing the part to fail.

Realistically- debugging it to the component level isn't likely to happen on a web forum, and a professional's time on-site won't be cheap either. What you have is a 5+ year old unit with a compromised heat exchanger and failing electronics. Freeze-ups aren't kind to these beasts. An in-the-box new-surplus TK1/TK2/or KD20 is likely to be under $500 if you can find one, which may be what it would cost to fix this one with no longevity guarantee. A new TK JR on a web-store deal will run about $600 and would involve a bit more plumbing, but you could likely use the same venting. (You may have to find a web-deal on a remote too if you're the type that likes to play around with the temp settings but I expect that'd be in the ~$100 range. I'm not sure if the RE-01 works with any of the newer stuff, but it might- call Takagi. I've got the RE-02 on my KD20.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks