Takagi Jr. Error code 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Bernie Mac

Reaction score
My tankless has been working fine for the past 5 years, until 2 nights ago we had no hot water (error code 12). So I reset the system and this morning I had no hot water... again it read error code 12 again!!! So I decided to do some research and found this great forum.

BTW I have city water.

Based on the info I got on this forum I turned the power off, cleaned the air mesh/filter, I also removed both flame sensors and cleaned them with a scouring pad; however as I was removing the sensors there was a a fiber-glass like gasket that disintegrated in my hand (so I guess I need to order one) the other issue and BIGGEST CONCERN is that there is a hole about a 1/2 inch wide, on the left side of the sensor that now has a fairly decent FLAME COMING OUT OF IT every time the heater is in use!!!

Any advice???

Thanks

B

Last edited:

Lightwave

Reaction score
Unexpected flames in gas appliances are never a good thing.

Turn off the gas to the heater and call a plumber.

Bernie Mac

Reaction score
I wouldnt say there unexpected. There is a plasitc that covers the viewer that prevents heat from escapaing. I guess that it fell at some point. I couldn't find it. Ordered both sensores, gasket and the plastic thingy for about $35 from Takagi.

I will keep you all posted.

Brian H

Reaction score
Code 12,
Just cleaned my igniter for the second time in 6 years of having the T-KD20." Love this unit " Looking at the life span of the fiberglass seal around the ignition panel/sight glass I was informed that this unit has been discontinued. Any Idea of a parts place for this unit ?
One thing I do regularly is remove the igniter and blow the residue off the burners that the gas leaves behind. Very low air flow from a plastic straw. You can see the difference in the diffusion of the flame after cleaned.
Cheers
Brian

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks