Takagi Jr. Error code 12

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Bernie Mac, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Bernie Mac

Bernie Mac New Member

My tankless has been working fine for the past 5 years, until 2 nights ago we had no hot water (error code 12). So I reset the system and this morning I had no hot water... again it read error code 12 again!!! So I decided to do some research and found this great forum.

BTW I have city water.

Based on the info I got on this forum I turned the power off, cleaned the air mesh/filter, I also removed both flame sensors and cleaned them with a scouring pad; however as I was removing the sensors there was a a fiber-glass like gasket that disintegrated in my hand (so I guess I need to order one) the other issue and BIGGEST CONCERN is that there is a hole about a 1/2 inch wide, on the left side of the sensor that now has a fairly decent FLAME COMING OUT OF IT every time the heater is in use!!!

Any advice???

Thanks

B
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. Lightwave

Lightwave New Member

Unexpected flames in gas appliances are never a good thing.

Turn off the gas to the heater and call a plumber.
  3. Bernie Mac

Bernie Mac New Member

I wouldnt say there unexpected. There is a plasitc that covers the viewer that prevents heat from escapaing. I guess that it fell at some point. I couldn't find it. Ordered both sensores, gasket and the plastic thingy for about $35 from Takagi.

I will keep you all posted.
  4. Brian H

Brian H New Member

Code 12,
    Just cleaned my igniter for the second time in 6 years of having the T-KD20." Love this unit " Looking at the life span of the fiberglass seal around the ignition panel/sight glass I was informed that this unit has been discontinued. Any Idea of a parts place for this unit ?
    One thing I do regularly is remove the igniter and blow the residue off the burners that the gas leaves behind. Very low air flow from a plastic straw. You can see the difference in the diffusion of the flame after cleaned.
    Cheers
    Brian
  5. Scott D. Plumber

Scott D. Plumber In the Trades

Check your gas supply. Have you been paying your bills? Did you let the LP run out?