Taj Mahal in India. Holy Cow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We just got back from touring India the last twelve days. I have to say that my first view of the Taj Mahal was stunning!
Looking through the archway in the morning hour, the sun glistening off of the white marble and the embedded gems, like it's hanging in the sky.

The Taj is a white marble mausoleum located in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India. It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. The Taj Mahal is widely recognized as "the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world's heritage"

india_2013_3831.jpg

It was an emotional experience seeing it for the first time.

india_2013_3842.jpg

But when I got closer, it didn't seem that large. I felt like a giant in India.

india_2013_3844.jpg

Sue did a fly by. Here she is jumping from her magic carpet. I found out they sell carpets in India too. I wound up bringing one home.

india_2013_3832.jpg

The Taj Mahal at the end of the pools in front.
It was a fantastic trip visiting India. So much going on, and friendly people. We visited many temples there and places of worship. India is the birthplace of some of the world's major religious traditions; namely Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism. According to the 2001 census, 80.5% of the population of India practice Hinduism. Islam (13.4%), Christianity (2.3%), Sikhism (1.9%), Buddhism(0.8%) and Jainism (0.4%)

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Very Nice.

Welcome Home.

I bet you are Happy too be back Home.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
india_3955.jpg

A view from the Agra Fort. This would be the view from the "house arrest" of the builder of the Taj Mahal. He's son imprisoned him at the fort.

india_3939.jpg

india_3860.jpg

A close look

india_3872.jpg

The inlaid precious stone. This is why the Taj glows in the sunlight. It's picking up the reflection from the inlaid stones in the marble. All of this work was done by hand, and you can still find some artwork to take home done in the same way.

india_3887.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks