Taco pump 006-BC4

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by emshamrell, Aug 28, 2012.

1. emshamrell

emshamrell New Member

Hi
    Just had a Taco recirc pump with timer installed , finally after 9 years we have hot water quickly on the second story of our home. My concern is the pump housing is so HOT. It is much hotter than the hot water line leading into the pump. I cannot touch it for more than 2 seconds. Is this a fire hazard? Yes i asked the plumber who installed and he said they tend to run hot. Am i over concerned?

Thanks for your help
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Yes, they run hot. Yes, you are overconcerned.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Have you ever tried to set fire to paper with hot water? Actually, you can boil water over a campfire in a paper cup, but not a stryofoam one. The pump CANNOT get over 212 degrees, if even that hot, as long as there is water in the pump.