Taco On Command hot water recirc pump installation gone kind of wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Stiege

Reaction score
I installed the Taco 006-CT in my laundry room at the end of the hot water run per Taco instructions. I push the button, the pump starts up and stops when the water gets warm. Presto! Hot water for laundry, and at the kitchen sink which is half way down the line.

The problem is I'm watering my lawn with hot water. There are two cold water hose bibbs along the line, and the hot water is pushing through the pump out the hose. Also when the washer calls for cold rinse water, it comes out hot there too.

I called Taco and said what gives? I thought there were check valves in the pump? He said there's a check valve that keeps the cold from running back to the hot side, but a strong enough "pressure differential" should push hot through. He said the unit is working as designed, and that he's heard of people watering their lawns with hot water. I said, yeah that was me 10 minutes ago.

But, what are my options? I can't figure where I would put another check valve, since I need the hot coming over to the cold at the pump to do it's job. The house is a ranch, so I have access to all the plumbing.

I'd appreciate any experience you've had with this.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Stiege

Reaction score
Has no body had experience with this? The idea and the practicality of this setup is great for saving water, but I can't be the only person (as evidenced by the Taco rep's comments) that has had to deal with a pressure differential in this type of system.

In a demand based setup would the pump be located at the water heater and loop back to the farthest fixture?

Thanks,

Jason

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
There are a lot of posts on this subject (use Search feature) - you will find that the setup you have were the some hot water is returned through the cold water lines will warm up the cold water side. Exactly as you have experienced. A dedicated hot water return line would solve the problem.

But you may have a faulty part (i.e. temp sensor) based on the way you describe your situation. The recirculation pump should shut off once hot water is detected at the "temperature sensor". When the pump shuts off the "hot-to-cold side" check valve is no longer held open and no more hot water will go into the cold water line. It sounds like your valve is not closing or your pump is running longer than it should.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pump has a thermostat which closes the valve when the warm/hot water reaches the pump. Yours has failed and is sending hot water back through the cold water line. When the pump is working properly, you only get "warm" water from the pump, but then the hot water arrives with the normal flow. When the thermostat fails THEN you get hot water and the problem you describe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks