taco circulator problem

Users who are viewing this thread

browndog

Reaction score
Hello

I'm having an issue with my hot water circulator, taco 007-bf4-jw.

Browsing the web for troubleshooting ideas, I stumbled upon this thread-

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/novice-question-is-my-cartridge-circulator-bad.32641/

This guys problem is identical to mine, except I'm NOT getting voltage at the circulator. The only difference being I have dual cirulators, one for baseboard heat, one for hot water. Heat works fine, hot water is the problem. I removed the wire nuts and tested the yellow and white wires and got no voltage across them while the furnace was running and the boiler thermostat cranked up.(edit- or should I be reading voltage there even if it IS the circulator? Now that I think on it, there should be some power there somewhere shouldn't there?) I had voltage at the ice cube relay as well. The furnace runs and starts, like its heating water, but none gets past the circulator.

Also, the furnace only runs for a minute or two before shutting down, like it would if the water were sufficiently heated. Not sure if thats significant and a symptom of the circulator being bad. Again, no issue when using baseboard heat, just hot water circulation.

Is there anything else it could be aside from the circulator, or am I safe to assume the circulator is the problem?

Last edited:

browndog

Reaction score
Sorry, I said I had power at the relay "as well", there is power at the relay but not the circulator. Sorry if that confused.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
First, it's a boiler, not a furnace (gets confusing when the terms are mis-applied.)

If you can measure power at the OUTPUT of the relay, but not at the pump, it sounds like a broken wire or connection between the relay and the pump, no?

I assume the hot water pump is for an indirect tank water heater loop?

If the zone controller thinks it's turning on the pump and automatically fires the boiler but there isn't any flow, the boiler up to the high-limit in a matter of seconds (sometimes a few tens of seconds) and turn off, so that is behavior to expect if the pump for the indirect is not working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks