T & P valve and water heater noise

Users who are viewing this thread

MTB

Reaction score
I've noticed a sound coming from the water heater, like there is an obstruction somewhere, when any of the faucets are running hot water. Thought the logical thing to do was to drain the water heater, which I did about 5 days ago. Now, the T & P valve is leaking-- a pretty constant drip. Thought maybe debris was caught in the valve, so I opened and closed it a few times to try to free any debris, and the noise that has been taunting me occurred with opening the valve. My question is, how likely is it that simply replacing the T & P valve will stop the leaking and get rid of the noise? Does the noise mean there may be more problems with the water heater? Thanks for the input!

James55

Reaction score
What's a T&P valve?

So what's a T & P valvue? The pressure valve at the top of the tank? Or the drain below?? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Temperature and Pressure valve at the top of the tank.

Most are set at 150 psi and 210 degrees.
This keeps the tank from being a bomb in your home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks