System Design Decisions - Pressure Tank, Relay, Pressure Switch, Valve Placement???

Users who are viewing this thread

modelav8r

Reaction score
I have read alot about designing your own system and I think I am ready to tackle it but I am in sort of a dilema. From what I can tell, there are two basic ways to set up your valves and pump.

First of all, I am pumping from a canal about 15 ft lower than my pump. I have been deliberating on putting a pressure tank on my line and letting a pressure valve control the pump operation or using no pressure tank and letting the irrigation controller control the pump with a relay.

I want to place my valves near each zone so that I may manually control the valve if there is a problem without walking all the way around the house, plus I avoid the loss in running smaller line from the valve to each zone with having the valve at the zone.

I really don't want to use a pressure tank because they are ugly and expensive but I still want to have the valves at each zone. I don't want to turn off the valve and have the pump overheat because the irrigation controller is running it. I am thinking of putting a relay for the irrigation controller and a pressure switch in series with the relay so that even if I turn off a valve, the pressure would build and turn off the pump. The also allows you to save the pump from overheating if a head becomes clogged, etc...

Will this work? Does this sound like good logic? Has anyone done this before?

I would appreciate any feedback on a system set up in this manner.

Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Without a tank, you can not use a pressure switch.

An irrigation controller can turn on the valves and the pump at the same time if you have a pump start relay. Problem is, if the valve does not open the pump will run deadhead for the duration of that zone.

Fifteen feet is a pretty good lift for any above ground pump, jet or centrifugal. You will lose efficiency. A submersible would be a better choice.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks