Symmons Temptrol Stripped Seats

Users who are viewing this thread

Sydflash

Reaction score
I went and completely stripped the cold seat on my Symmons Model A Temptrol.

The brass peeled off like butter - so smooth I thought the seat was turning.

Has anyone ever successfully used a stripped screw extractor on one of these?

If so, what type of cutters did it have? What was the brand?

Symmons recommended I try a #6 - but there are lots of different extractors out there.

Any advice on making this fix work or other ideas on how to save the valve would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- one more thing - The entire inside of my valve is green - is trying to get the seat out at all just a fools errand?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is the depth of the hole behind the valve seat and the taper on the extractor that will determine if you can use it to get the seat out. Sometimes, if the extractor bottoms out too soon, people grind the end off the extractor to make it shorter. If it is too long, you can poke a hole in the back of the valve, or just fail to get a grip...the former is catastrophic, the later is just annoying!

symmonsvalve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks