Symmons Temptrol, Does shower cartridge/diverter need to be replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe97

Reaction score
I live in a high rise and have been told by the building that because of a four degree hot water temperature differential between my bath and my bathroom sink the cartridge/diverter must be replaced. The building has had problems providing hot water to the bathrooms. Would a four degree hot water temperature difference between the bath and the bathroom sink which is four feet away indicate that the cartridge is defective?

Many thanks,
Joe

Joe97

Reaction score
Here is the a picture of the valve. There are no brand markings and the valve is original to the building, i.e. 1973. The cartridge was last replaced

IMG_0040.JPG

The cartridge was last replaced in 1994. (The building is requiring more then half the units on the line to replace their cartridges/diverters.)

Thank you,
Joe

Can you post a picture of the valve? 800 pixels or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The configuration is consistent with Danze, but that would just be a guess. Someone knows the make and model if they are replacing cartridges. The problem you describe would NOT be a diverter problem, and could just be a matter of adjustment. Most people would not even notice a 4 degree differential.

Joe97

Reaction score
Thanks hj. The building is taking the position that a four degree differential between the shower/tub hot water and the bathroom sink hot water means that the cartridge/diverter is causing crossover between the hot and cold water lines. Does this seem right?

Thanks again,
Joe

The configuration is consistent with Danze, but that would just be a guess. Someone knows the make and model if they are replacing cartridges. The problem you describe would NOT be a diverter problem, and could just be a matter of adjustment. Most people would not even notice a 4 degree differential.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not necessarily. It could just be the way the valve is designed to mix hot and cold and whether there is ANY position where it is ALL hot or ALL cold, because if not, then the hot water will NEVER be full temperature.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like a Symmons Temptrol

IMPORTANT: After completion of installation step 4, follow these instructions to set the
Temptrol Limit Stop Screw. This valve is equipped with a limit stop screw to be used to
limit valve handle from being turned to excessively hot water discharge temperatures.
To adjust, remove dome cover, open valve to maximum desired temperature and turn
in limit stop screw until it seats.

http://www.republicsupplyco.com/SpecSheets/S-96-1install.pdf

symmonsvalve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asktom

Reaction score
It looks like the Symmons to me too, and 1973 seems too early for Danze. If over half the cartridges are to be replaced, then somebody around there ought to be sure of the brand/model.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks