Symmons Automatic Washing Machine Valve W-400 replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pipe2345, Mar 24, 2010.

1. pipe2345

pipe2345 New Member

I was hoping someone could help me with the replacement of an Automatic Washing Machine Valve W-400.

My old valve doesn't shut off with the switch I am guessing the valve is bad. I need to replace my washing machine and therefore need to replace my Valve W-400.

My question is I am planning on reusing the union ells which are existing, are there any issues I may run into by doing this? Do I need anything beyond the gasket and screws to mount the new valve?

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Yes, you can turn the water off, unscrew the old one, and screw in a new one. I've found that it's worth the time to put some silicon plumber's grease on the mechanism before you mount the valve. I have one just like it, and the original lasted about 15-years...it was quicker to replace than to repair.
  3. pipe2345

pipe2345 New Member

Thank you. Dumb question what do you mean by 'mechanism'. Thanks
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The ball valve.