Switching between AC and MC cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
I need to extend an existing circuit (from an existing electrical outlet box). The existing cable is AC (steel) cable that has no insulated ground wire, but does have the typical aluminum bondstrip running along its inside. The existing circuit has grounded outlets and registers as grounded with my hand-held receptacle tester. If I add a legitimate(*) grounding clip or grounding screw to the outlet box, can I continue the circuit using a MC cable with insulated ground wire? Is there any prohibition against this in the NEC?
Thanks
Theodore

(*) an appropriate green clip or green screw, not just any screw that I can find in the garage.

Stuff

Reaction score
What you are describing is fine as far as the NEC is concerned.

NYC (as well as other states and municipalites) has its own set of rules that go beyond the NEC so you should check for what local amendments you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks