Switch location for Disposal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by psjr56, Jan 21, 2012.

1. psjr56

psjr56 Member

How close to the sink can you put the switch for a garbage disposal? Is it ok to put it in the cabinet under the sink. I searched here and a electrical form but couldn't find the answer.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The switch can be in the cabinet.

Or you can also use a button on the sink hooked up with a air hose to a control box.

Or you can use to top switched disposer. Insinkerator has an Evolution Cover Control® model.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I have often seen the switch mounted to the front of the sink's cabinet, so your answer is "put it anywhere it is handy".
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

I do not like that type install because standing at the sink you can accidentally turn the disposal on with your body. I prefer the air switch,wall switch,batch fed or a switch under the cabinet.
  5. psjr56

psjr56 Member

Thanks for the replies. I bought the insinkerator cord now I need a 20 amp line and a switch in the cabinet. If it were a new kitchen install I'd put it on the wall.
  6. hj

quote; I do not like that type install because standing at the sink you can accidentally turn the disposal on with your body.

That is only a disadvantage if you use the "Decora" style switches. It doesn't happen with toggle switches, and it is sometimes the most convenient spot to use it.
  7. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Maybe after the homeowners get use to it they dont bump it very much but on service calls I bump the toggle switches on when they are present. Just a crappy way to do somthing with a switch in the face of the cabinet.
  8. psjr56

psjr56 Member

Talked to a friend who is a licensed electrician who I haven't seen in a while and he said it has to be on a GFCI in our area. They make combo receptacle/switch/GFCI that I'll use and put it in the cabinet under the sink. He also said it has to have a cord on it too. Thanks for all the replies.
  9. hj

disposer

I have never seen a disposer plugged into a GFCI, and while most are connected with a plug in cord, there are many which are direct wired. Some would consider a switch inside a cabinet, where you have to open the door to get to it, inconvenient.
  10. psjr56

psjr56 Member

The electrician told me it was code in our area since 2011. I may still try and put the switch in the wall but fishing a wire in a wall with insulation is a pain.