Swirling Toilet - Help

Users who are viewing this thread

jake88

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I’ve got an issue with my toilet. It swirls for 30 seconds, than goes down. Sometimes it will clear and sometimes it won’t. This toilet is only 6 years old. I’ve already read up on a bunch of things from the internet. Here is what I’ve tried:

1) Poured two gallons of water into the toilet. The water went down very quickly. So this told me that there is no clog or does it?
2) But just in case, I’ve also used a toilet Auger but I got one that has a bulb at the end so I wasn’t able to snake all the way…is there one without a bulb? Any advice?
3) I’ve checked and cleared the holes underneath the rim. There wasn’t much to clean, it was pretty clean.
4) I’ve checked the siphon hole at the bottom of the toilet, nothing was blocking it
5) I’ve poured CLR into the overflow tube (I’m not sure if that is the correct term, but it’s the tube inside the tank) and let it sit for 48 hours. I didn’t want to use the acid.
6) I’ve made sure that the water level was good
7) This toilet was originally a duel flush toilet, however I’ve replaced the flap so now it empties out the entire bowl on the first flush, so I know there is enough water.

So with all the above, the water still swirls for about 30 seconds before it goes down. The only thing I have not checked was the vents. Am I out of luck and have to replace this toilet?

Any advice you guys could give would be great!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have a classic symptom of something caught in the toilet. The fact that it passes water, but clogs with paper, or other waste means that those things are being caught up against that clog. Could be a pen, pencil, crayon, toy, comb, cotton swab...i.e., lots of things. The fact you can't get the toilet auger through is another clue...the pathway through a toilet is generally at least 2" in diameter...the auger should go through, but may not catch the obstruction if it gets stopped by it. You may have to pull the toilet and often, you can see it from the bottom to remove whatever is there. FWIW, never put anything down the toilet except for some toilet paper and what has already passed through you!

jake88

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that after I've completed the above items, I've done test flushes without anything in the bowl and it still swirls for 30 seconds and then goes down... So I'm not sure if it is something catching it....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the clog isn't in the toilet itself, then it may be in that branch servicing the toilet. A toilet auger should be able to go its full length easily. If it doesn't, there is the problem. If it does go the full length, and you still have the problem, the clog is further down the pipe and may call for a pro with a full diameter reamer head to clear it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks