Swine Flue

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There were some problems with the vaccine in '76. I was in the Navy then, and never knew of any service members affected, but probably some where. Today's vaccine is much different.

And there is no free lunch in life. If a few hundred or a few thousand people world wide have some adverse reaction to the vaccine, mostly minor reactions, that is balanced by the tens of millions of people worldwide who will NOT DIE, because they are protected by the vaccine.

Back in the early '50s, my mom and others lived all summer in FEAR of polio...we couldn't go out in public, stayed away from the beach, etc. A little girl about 5 houses down the street died from polio, and I think my mom just prayed 24/7 for about a month so we woudn't get it. Seemed to work! The vaccine changed people's lives for the better.

I will be in line for the H1N1 as soon as they will let old farts get it. I would consider backhanding some young punks to get toward the front of the line if I could get away with it!!!!!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I don't care what happens as long as receiving the vaccine is voluntary

Cookie

Reaction score
One disease can lead to another. For instance Mono, which is caused by the Epstein Barr Virus, is linked to Lymphoma. So, in other words, if you have a greater chance of getting Lymphoma later in life. People tested with Lymphoma will test positive for EBV.

I am a firm believer of immunizations. You just don't know.

Jimbo, is so totally correct my friend.

I have a friend, Elizabeth, who is Amish. I am hesitant of visiting because they do not get any vaccinations. They have accepted me even though I am English as one of their own, and Elizabeth, has been wanting to play match-maker with her cousin. One, I don't think I look good plain and the red stilettos ( this is a joke) might be a problem, but no vaccines, you won't see me. :)

I am in line with Jimbo. :)

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
since the government is in charge of the whole program, and they have already run out of vaccine, It looks to be just about a non issue :D And this is the same bunch that want to administer universal health care :rolleyes:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
finally over the worst of it

everyone here has finally gotten all better..
temps back down to 98,
but a nose bleed last night....
staying home again todayfrom school....

still , I think it is lurking out there waiting to rear its ugly head again
I am not letting my guard down .....

Cookie

Reaction score
The one thing I do especially when the flu is about is to wipe off my door knobs especially in the bathroom with one of those lysol wipes. I do the toilet handle, the seat, sink knobs, tub handles, and the door knobs. In my town, our supermarket provides the same wipes to wipe down the handle on the cart you are using.

I actually do this 2x a day. Once at nightfall, because I can hear the germs in their having fun & reproducing; and, if I don't have fun & reproduce nothing in this house will, :) then, in the morning, I clean it again for the day, incase I missed some die-hards. This seems to be efffective.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
everyone here has finally gotten all better..
temps back down to 98,
but a nose bleed last night....
staying home again todayfrom school....

still , I think it is lurking out there waiting to rear its ugly head again
I am not letting my guard down .....

Don't know if this is the case, but 3 things that are common can cause a nosebleed, actually, 4, one is, Aspirin, it thins the blood, 2, the furnace, can dry out the air & your nose membranes, 3, an infection and 4, picking it, lol.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Good deal Mark, sick kids, sick family, bummer. And it seems to go on for eternity.

Cookie, do you use the hand sanitizer stuff? I once had a nurse show me how to properly wash my hands, oh and a dental hygienist show me how to brush my teeth. Seems that in 50 odd years I had been doing it all wrong :(

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't think you were doing it wrong, it is just a new & improved way, lol, which usually, never pans out anyway. :)

My sons are always buying me the hand sanitizers, since I have quite an extensive collection of it, I told them they can quit. They are quite doting over me, to the point where when I see them coming I RUN. :) I really wish they didn't worry so much, it worries me, lol.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ian

Ian, if the electricians get the swine flue, that would mean we would finally have room in the buildings to put our pipes. I have always said that electricians have a special course in how to run a 1/2 conduit through Chase Field and take up EVERY bit of space so NO ONE else could install anything.

Cookie

Reaction score
One thing that might help with the flu season here is the dishwasher. Making sure you use it, maybe not let dishes sit, and don't do what I do in turning off the heat dry, I might turn mine back on.

One important fact is if your kids are coming down with something, to keep them home. Flu in school is really bad. So, if they are sniffling, their noses are starting to run, even if they don't feel warm, or nothing hurts, keep them home.

*this is the time to take them to visit your relatives, lol.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Wife was diagnosed with H1N1 last Thursday. We let the in-laws keep our daughter until yesterday. What a friggin PIA -- I was going to the in-laws for the hours Belle was up and about, their house is not kid friendly so I was constantly chasing her just to keep and eye out for potential disasters. I've had to keep myself pretty hopped up on the pain pills because I'm constantly the one to pick her up for whatever reason and I was the one putting her to be for a nap or for the night. The wife is almost better, she just has a horrific sore throat that goes up into her left ear.

When all this is over I guess I'll be back to square one on getting my back better. :(

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hope all is well. Not sure about your procedure. You were going back and forth repeatedly carrying potential exposure from your wife, over to the inlaws place and your daughter!

The "doc du jour" on TV says a simple course of action is for the sick person to stay in their bedroom, set up the tv etc. Others go in and out of the room only infrequently for meds, bring in food , etc. I have stocked up on N95 masks and if one of us gets sick the other will probably wear a mask. We have plenty of purell, Lysol spray, etc. By the way, we started to stockpile this stuff 6 months ago. If you try to stock up now, you may find supplies low in the stores.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Hope all is well. Not sure about your procedure. You were going back and forth repeatedly carrying potential exposure from your wife, over to the inlaws place and your daughter!

The "doc du jour" on TV says a simple course of action is for the sick person to stay in their bedroom, set up the tv etc. Others go in and out of the room only infrequently for meds, bring in food , etc. I have stocked up on N95 masks and if one of us gets sick the other will probably wear a mask. We have plenty of purell, Lysol spray, etc. By the way, we started to stockpile this stuff 6 months ago. If you try to stock up now, you may find supplies low in the stores.

The wife was mostly confined to the bedroom, I slept on the couch. As soon as we got word we disinfected the whole house. We also kept disinfectant wipes on the counter and as I did stuff around the house I was constantly wiping stuff down and washing my hands and using Purell. When she did come out of the room she wore a mask. Anytime I left I washed up as soon as I got to where I was going.

Cross my fingers but it doesn't look like it spread. We were real concerned about her grandfather, he's had a kidney replaced and is diabetic besides pushing 90. She ate dinner Wednesday at her parents and her grandparents came over, but no one else has shown any symptoms.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ah, that wasn't good. He was too old, but, I am glad all seems well. It is so scary.

Reaction score
The vaccine production has been so slow that from what I've read from immunization experts they project that 2/3 of the population will have already contracted the flu by the time it is available in quantity. In other words, it's worthless. There is some need to find faster methods for developing a vaccine and actually getting it in place. Reminds me of the old jokes about the Emergency Notification system test announcements, "If this had been an actual emergency you would all be dead by now."

We've already been through a bout of flu this season with the family. It was so mild and the symptoms so variable but extended that we didn't realize we actually had it. Everybody else we know has been going through the same thing with varying degrees of sickness. We haven't been tested, but since they are reporting nearly all identified flu at this time is swine flu, it doesn't really matter anymore.

As flu goes, this stuff was really mild. The fact that this stuff can be so mild that you don't realize you or your children have it until several days into the episode is likely why it has spread so thoroughly. My son ran a mild fever for about 12 hours, my daughter never had one, nor did my wife or myself. A little Pepto kept the adults functional.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First you have to grow 300 million chickens. Those poor roosters do their best, but are plumb tuckered out!

Cookie

Reaction score
My son had the same symptoms it was tested and he had mono. So be careful you are sure what you are dealing with, mono has special needs.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks