Sweating new valve

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Pimbley, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Pimbley

Pimbley New Member

I'm about to install my new valve (American Standard, Pressure Balance).

All the ports are threaded so those are straightforward.

But, when I sweat the nearby copper tubes to connect to incoming supply, elbows etc., how worried should I be about getting the valve hot. I do not want to take the valve apart just to sweat near it.

Do people use heat sinks or other means to stop the valve overheating and , I assume, seals getting damaged. Is this common anyway?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you are sweating a fitting an inch or more away from the valve, it is probably quite safe. There are plumbers who are so good with their soldering technique that they can sweat a valve body without removing the cartridge. The secret is rapid heating of the joint for a very short time. The valve body has enough mass to dissipate the total heat applied. I do not do it or recommend it.
    The longer the heat is applied with the torch, the more total heat the valve body must dissispate, and it will likely rise to a too-high temp.

It is a simple matter to remove the parts, but as I mentioned, if your are an inch or more away, and for extra measure wrap a damp rag around the central body, you will be fine.
  3. Pimbley

Pimbley New Member

Sweating - thx

Thanks. I should be - or can make sure I am - 1" + away. Will also use the damp rag trick.

Thx.

Pimbley
  4. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

I've never had a problem soldering valves like that. Use the hottest part of your torch and they go quick.

Tom
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I pull the insides and solder.
    It does't take that much time, and then I don't have to worry about it.

I used to solder with the guts intact years ago, before there were so many plastic parts.