Sweating in a new K-304 shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Heat Fitting

I think the most common reason for DIY joint failure is that they heat the fitting instead of the pipe. We should heat the pipe and then move to the fitting. By the way, what does bump the donut mean? I don't have a tv and haven't seen SNL in 20 years.

quantum

Reaction score
jimbo said:
Well, this is all water over the dam now,and I'm glad your job is done. All the advice given was excellent in my opinion.

re: soldering You have a teflon frying pan? No worries, mate. 95/5 solder melts at about 460 degrees, and if you use good technique the metal will only be slightly hotter than that. Teflon tape or paste will not be damaged.

That said, although a well done pipe thread connection will be fine, most prefer to solder directly to the valve. Soldering a body like this is somewhat more difficult that soldering a pipe into a fitting, so DIY valves are usually threaded. Despite varying recommendations from manufacturers, I always disassemble all parts of the valve just to be safe.

Your problem with pinholes: there are 2 key points in soldering: CLEAN & DRY. The necessary technique is then to get the parts up to temperature quickly and apply the solder just when the metal is hot enough to melt it. Overheating is probably the next most common failure ( after clean and dry!)

If you don't have the proper torch and tip, a prolonged application of heat the part in an attempt to get it hot leads to overheating.

I encourage you to try other projects in the future. And a little time spent practicing on scrap pieces will greatly improve your technique.

Good Luck!

Yeah - I figure its a good skill to have for emergencies, so I'm planning to practice once I finish this small bathroom remodel. The other part of the problem was overheating.
:eek:

quantum

Reaction score
LonnythePlumber said:
I think the most common reason for DIY joint failure is that they heat the fitting instead of the pipe. We should heat the pipe and then move to the fitting. By the way, what does bump the donut mean? I don't have a tv and haven't seen SNL in 20 years.

Ummm... it was part of "Weekend Update" and they were talking about Dick Cheney's ******* daughter. Basically, about 2 "parts" that when you try to fit them together.....well lets just say it was funnier on TV than my retelling here.
;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks