sweating horizontal joints

Users who are viewing this thread

jlast

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to soldering copper and just feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I'm assembling some parts for a heating system on my bench, and I can get some nice looking joints vertically, where the solder forms that nice silver ring at the end of the fitting cup. But when I do horizontal joints, it seems like I end up putting too much solder into the joint trying to get that "ring"...the solder seems to flow into the fitting just fine but I don't get that ring, only more drips out the bottom. Is this just normal for horizontal joints, or is there something I can do to make the solder build up better. Maybe it's just aesthetic but I like when I can see that solid ring.... Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think horizontal joints are easier. If it's heated top to bottom, it will pull the solder in. As long as you can see it, it's there. It doesn't have to pool.

jlast

Reaction score
I think horizontal joints are easier. If it's heated top to bottom, it will pull the solder in. As long as you can see it, it's there. It doesn't have to pool.

By heated top to bottom you mean heated completely, right? Because I've mostly seen guys apply heat to the bottom of the joint and feed the solder from the top. Some of what I'm doing is 1" and with that, I heat from the bottom and sides until it's all up to temp, then feed into the bottom of the joint first, and work my way up on both sides.

When soldering brass valves, do I keep the flame on the cup the whole time while feeding the solder? It seems harder to keep the whole thing hot than with copper fittings. I think I'm being skittish with the heat because I'm afraid of damaging the valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's all about even heat. The more sides you can hit the better. I tend to foucus more on heating low and applying solder high.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My grandfather taught me a little trick, if you're working with 1/2", put a bend in the solder 1/2" from the end. That should give you the right amount of solder for your joint. 3/4 tubing, 3/4" of solder and so on.

Sounds like you maybe using a little too much heat, pull your torch back from the joint a little.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Practice makes perfect.
Most important things to remember: clean the parts well, heat them evenly and keep them dry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks