sweating copper prep

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Leemonster, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Leemonster

Leemonster New Member

Hello all, I finished cleaning, fluxing, fitting several pipes and fittings but had to tend to some other chores before I could solder them. Is it OK to solder these joints after they have been sitting overnight or should I clean and flux again. Thanks
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Solder them
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Clean 'em again. I read somewhere that something happens with the copper if it is allowed to set for a period of time before soldering. I never even bother to clean the fittings and pipe ends or apply flux until I actually am ready to solder the joint. If I can I'll do both ends of the fitting at once, but if that's not practical, I treat them individually. I normally use a round wire brush that fits inside the fitting and another doughnut-like brush that fits around outside of the pipe. Emery cloth works very well on pipe ends, but is harder to use inside fittings. I use a small brush for applying flux on the pipe ends as well as inside the fitting.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

It takes more than 24 hrs. to affect the flux and copper. It should be fine. I have done some that had been fluxed more than 3 days.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I yield to Cass's experience. I know I read something about this somewhere, but not remembering exactly what the time frame was, and since cleaning and fluxing take very little time or effort, I just took no chances. Thanks for setting us straight, Cass, but I think I'll continue with what I have gotten accustomed to doing. :)
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

I also yield to what you have become accustomed to. You have to feel that the job was done right.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

joints

It will also make a difference depending on exactly which flux you used. Some will create a patina, that does not clean itself when heated, while others will be reactivated by the heat.
  8. Leemonster

Leemonster New Member

Well I took a chance and went ahead with the soldering and had no problems. I used Oatey #95 flux with Oatey safe flo solder. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.