Sweating copper prep

Users who are viewing this thread

Leemonster

Reaction score
Hello all, I finished cleaning, fluxing, fitting several pipes and fittings but had to tend to some other chores before I could solder them. Is it OK to solder these joints after they have been sitting overnight or should I clean and flux again. Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clean 'em again. I read somewhere that something happens with the copper if it is allowed to set for a period of time before soldering. I never even bother to clean the fittings and pipe ends or apply flux until I actually am ready to solder the joint. If I can I'll do both ends of the fitting at once, but if that's not practical, I treat them individually. I normally use a round wire brush that fits inside the fitting and another doughnut-like brush that fits around outside of the pipe. Emery cloth works very well on pipe ends, but is harder to use inside fittings. I use a small brush for applying flux on the pipe ends as well as inside the fitting.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It takes more than 24 hrs. to affect the flux and copper. It should be fine. I have done some that had been fluxed more than 3 days.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I yield to Cass's experience. I know I read something about this somewhere, but not remembering exactly what the time frame was, and since cleaning and fluxing take very little time or effort, I just took no chances. Thanks for setting us straight, Cass, but I think I'll continue with what I have gotten accustomed to doing. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I also yield to what you have become accustomed to. You have to feel that the job was done right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joints

It will also make a difference depending on exactly which flux you used. Some will create a patina, that does not clean itself when heated, while others will be reactivated by the heat.

Leemonster

Reaction score
Well I took a chance and went ahead with the soldering and had no problems. I used Oatey #95 flux with Oatey safe flo solder. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks