Swanstone Shower Pan Installation

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by philgristle, Jul 23, 2007.

1. philgristle

philgristle New Member

I Plan to install a 34x54 Swantone Shower pan as part of my remodeling job.

Unfortunately, Swanstone's instructions are, quite simply, awful. (For example, they recommend plain drywall under the tile wall!)

So here is my plan, and I am looking for confirmation that I am on the right track.

1. Rough in drain. (Not a problem, easy garage access).

2. Set shower pan in mortar bed for stability, level/shim as needed.

3. Screw flange to studs? Swanstone is silent on this - but it make sense to me.

4. Fir strip studs to account for flange width.

5. Vapor barrier, over flange.

6. Durock, over flange.

Tile, grout, etc.

Am I on track?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

When you embed it in the mortar, that should fully support it so no shims should be needed - make sure it is level. Check for level as you smush it in place then leave it to set up. An alternative to shimming the studs is to notch them at the bottom so that the pan flange is flush and the cbu can overlap the flange. Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling info.