Studor Vent for powder room

Users who are viewing this thread

Kezug

Reaction score
I am finishing a powder room (sink and toilet only) that already has the piping in the ground for the toilet and right behind the toilet coming up the wall is a 2" line coming up about 4 feet and its capped off.

I am assuming that this 2" PVC behind the toilet is for venting AND for my sink drain? So I am thinking that I would connect the sink drain to it using a Sanitary Tee for the waste to go down and going up the Tee would be a connection to a Studor Vent.

Is this how I should be planning this?
If so, what size would I use for the actual sink drain? (1.5")

NOTE: that 2" pvc coming out of the ground has no where to go up through the first and second floor on out to the roof like a normal vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
First off I don't think you should "assume" anything. You need to know for sure where that 2" pipe goes and moreover, how and where it is connected. As for the studor vent, you live in Illinois where I believe the code does not allow them.

Kezug

Reaction score
Actually, I live in Indiana...just corrected my profile as I am not sure why it was listed as Illinois. Good point on the 2" and what it may or may not be...I will dig up some old photos to see if I have a pic before the cement was poured

Kezug

Reaction score
I found a pic...does this provide enough detail as to what that 2" pipe is for?

The toilet inlet is right next to the ladder and just to the right of that is the 2" that I described above as being behind the toilet (its behind as the way I am putting the toilet in.

IMG_4637.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It looks like it is a vent for the toilet but if you use a sutdor vent it has to be accessible.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I find it incomprehensible that if they put in piping for a basement bathroom that they did NOT provide a vent connection at the ceiling since they would have known you needed it. AND, it would have been a simple process to install it when the building was constructed.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
that looks like a drain for the lav to me but depending on how it was piped below it could also be used as a wet vent. If you are under the IPC then chances are good that you don't need to worry about venting the toilet as long as it is connected to a line that's vented somewhere in the house and I'm pretty sure it is.

Kezug

Reaction score
I find it incomprehensible that if they put in piping for a basement bathroom that they did NOT provide a vent connection at the ceiling since they would have known you needed it. AND, it would have been a simple process to install it when the building was constructed.

As do I, I was young when they built and I am upset that I failed to recognize this during the building process. However, I am more upset that it passed inspection and even more upset that my builder didnt catch it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An AAV (Studor is one brand) cannot be the only vent in a system, you need an atmospheric vent also somewhere on that system.

studor_mini_vent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kezug

Reaction score
Ok, I have a better picture of what my basement looked like before the cement was poured. I also put in some labels of the pipes that are in the pic.

My questions
1) Can I put a studor vent on the questionable pipe? If so, how high should the studor vent be? (NOTE: this will be in an open room as its inside my furnace room)
2) Can I tie my sink drain waste into the same questionable pipe but below the studor vent?

3.jpg

Kezug

Reaction score
^^^^

I am hoping someone can chime in and lead some advise being that I provided some more detail (perhaps all that was mentioned above apply but this picture shows more detail).

Thanks

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure you can put an AAV on the pipe ut whether ir not it vents anything is another question altogether.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks