surging water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

robt

Reaction score
I have noticed recently that my water pressure is surging when any line is open. I have a wellxtrol wx202 pressure tank, age 10+ years, operating pressure set at 40 / 60. When a line is open the cycle time seems short to me. It takes about 3 secs to fill 40 to 60 and then about 35 secs to discharge 60 to 40 so the total cycle time is less than 40 secs. I suspect that the air pressure in the tank has fallen below a resonable operating pressure. The water system has basically been seen no service in the 8 years I have owned the home and has worked very well until just recently. The pump is a 3/4 hp at about 150' depth. I have no problem with basic plumbing but this is new area to me, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like the pump is short cycling..needs to be resolved quick before you burn out the pump. First thing to do is knock on the tank. It should sound hollow on the top and dull thud on the bottom where the water is. If it sounds the same all the way to the top, it is one of several problems. Determine if the tank has what looks sort of like a tire air valve (all metal, though) on top. If it is a bladder type tank, it will have one of these. Shut the pump off, open a faucet until no more water runs out. Then, using a tire pressure guage, check the pressure at that valve. It should be set to 1-2 pounds LESS than the low pressure turn on point (38-39 pounds). If you get water out when you check it - the bladder is shot, and you need a new tank. If you don't, try to pump it up to the desired pressure. Let is sit for maybe 1/2 hour, and check it again. It should hold. If it doesn't, again, the bladder is probably shot. If it holds, shut the faucet, turn the pump back on, and you may be back to normal for another several years or more.

If you don't have that kind of valve on the tank, then it is a different type, and the "fix" is different.

robt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Replaced the valve core and pressurized the tank and all is working fine.

Rob

srbursley

Reaction score
I have a blue tank in my pump house and i have noticed that is is surging it has an air valve on top like tire valve to put air in to the tank i am not sure if it has a bladder inside or not what should i look for. I did what you told robt i shut pump off opened faucet until no more water came out went to check pressure at the valve on top of tank and nothing but water came out no air came out.. so does that mean i need a new tank

Last edited:

srbursley

Reaction score
the pressure on the gage at bottom of tank reads about 25 i think but when i checked pressure at the valve water came out. should i drain the tank and try to reprusserize the bladder would that tell me if the bladder is bad.. and thanx alot for the help

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks