supporting pnc parallel to Ijoist

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by zhomes, Nov 21, 2007.

1. zhomes

zhomes New Member

supporting pvc parallel to Ijoist

normally when I run PVC drains paraellel (in between) two josts I add support by cutting 2"x4" and nailing them between the joists under the pipe.

This is assuming I am running right down the middle and not up against the joist where I can secure it another way.

But doing a project now where I have I-joists. I dont like the idea of securing a 2"x4 by screwing throught the thin/webbing area of the Ijoist.

How do you guys secure if you running right down the middle of two I joists.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. Herk

Herk Plumber

I can't think of any reason that you couldn't secure a 2" x 4" with screws shot through the trus-joists. I don't understand why you'd have trouble with that. Alternatively, punch a hole through the joist on each side, high enough to allow for a V-shaped strap which goes through the holes, then screws from the other side. PVC isn't very heavy. Strap is a lot cheaper than 2" x 4"s.
  3. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

The web of an I-joist or any beam is the proper place to secure a vertical load. The web of a beam or joist carries most of the vertical load, and the flange carries the bending load.