Supporting piping/valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
Starting more of the supply plumbing work in my bathroom.

Working on the tub valve some more.

I will have the valve between 2 studs at a 32" height, with 1/2" supply lines running down each stud. How is the valve supported? Does it just rest on the copper lines, and the copper is supported wherever it turns to go horizontal? Or is there some way I should be supported the vertical drops of the copper supply lines which would in turn support the valve?

Anyone have any pics of a bathtub rough in for reference?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
What is the manufacturer of the valve and what model is it?
Is it wall mount?
take a pic of your setup and post it - best help that way...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For a tub shower, I use a drop ear 90 el for the shower head, backed by a horizontal 2x4

I use more 2x4's near the valve, depending on other factors, it can be behind, above or below.
I use plastic clips on the pipe.

The valve needs to be mounted solidly, otherwise when the escutcheon is installed, it can pull the valve.

I don't like running the copper against the studs, I like them with some distance from the vertical studs.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Ditto what Terry said. I often like to use 3/4" copper straps to mount the pipe with - you wrap them around the pipe and use one screw through the two holes. Rebend one of the bent strap ends flat, set it against the board, pull the strap around the pipe then run a screw through the holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks