Supply water to Garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Foamer01

Reaction score
Greetings:

I would like to supply water from my basement to my unattached garage. I am using 3/4" Pex. My Problem: I want to be able to blow this pex line out during the winter as this space will not always be heated. How do I connect pex to 3/4 copper and be able to pull it apart to blow it out? Do they make a 3/4" swivel fitting that attaches say to a garden facet? How would you approach this? Thanks for taking time to read my question.

DougB

Reaction score
I'm in Minnesota. In the garge I have a hose bib. In the house I have the water line that supplies the garage + shut off + tee (1/2 FPT) on the branch - then the copper goes to the garage.

On the branch of the tee - I have a 1/2" boiler drain. In the autumn I shut the water off to the garage, open the boiler drain, and then open the hose bib in the garage. I have a push/pull manual pump that is used in inflate matresses, etc - and I use that in the garage to drive out any residual water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Pex is so cheap, you may consider running a backup line to, Just a piece of pex plugged on both ends right beside the other.

Why just one? If you are concerned about potential breakage, put in a "few" that way you can forget to drain it many times. But, since tees, plugs, and hose bibbs are so cheap, why would you do something that you have to take apart every year? The basement is usually lower than the garage so you should just be able to open a hose bibb there and drain the water out of the line.

Last edited:

Foamer01

Reaction score
quote; Pex is so cheap, you may consider running a backup line to, Just a piece of pex plugged on both ends right beside the other.

Why just one? If you are concerned about potential breakage, put in a "few" that way you can forget to drain it many times. But, since tees, plugs, and hose bibbs are so cheap, why would you do something that you have to take apart every year? The basement is usually lower than the garage so you should just be able to open a hose bibb there and drain the water out of the line.

Yeah actually it goes through a crawl space down four feet in to the ground then back up into the garage.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's how I did mine and it works well for me. I did mine with copper. I teed off of a cold water supply in my basement, and ran the the pipe underground about 10 feet. I was careful to slope the line so it would drain back to the basement. I came up into the shop and to my sink and instant hot water heater. In the basement, I have a shut off valve to shut the supply off, the there is another valve which ties into a tee in the shop supply line and has a drain pipe the goes into a utility sink. To drain the line, I just shut the supply valve off and open the drain valve and the faucet in the shop. It drains by gravity. Now, I do keep my shop heated in the winter to 50 degrees, so I seldom have to drain the line, but when necessary, this works well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks