Supply line sizing for master bath dual lavatory + toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

PC7060

Handling one headache at a time
Reaction score
I've looked up the fixture units for lavatories and gravity feed toilet for Virginia in Table 2903.6 at:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/virg.../Chapter 29_Water Supply and Distribution.pdf

This table define the fixture units for each lavatory at 0.5 and toilet at 2.2 for a total of 3.2 fixture units; can I supply all three fixtures off of a single 1/2" copper branch off of a 3/4" copper line? House pressure is regulated to 80PSI.

Thanks in advance.

PC

PS: The folks at JohnBridge forums say hi! :cool:

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
In your link look at TABLE P2903.7. Maximum of 3 water supply fixture units for 1/2 distribution pipe.

PC7060

Reaction score
Stuff - Very good, thanks for the quick response! Can't belive I missed that, must have been a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. :)

PC7060

Reaction score
Followup question - what is the fixture unit so high for a toilet? For example a shower is 1.0 fixture units but the toilet is 2.2. Seems odd.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've looked up the fixture units for lavatories and gravity feed toilet for Virginia in Table 2903.6 at:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/virg.../Chapter 29_Water Supply and Distribution.pdf

This table define the fixture units for each lavatory at 0.5 and toilet at 2.2 for a total of 3.2 fixture units; can I supply all three fixtures off of a single 1/2" copper branch off of a 3/4" copper line? House pressure is regulated to 80PSI.
In table 2903.6, it says that a toilet and bathroom sink combined is 2.5 wsfu of cold, 0.5 of hot, and 2.6 wsfu if combined.

Stuff

Reaction score
In table 2903.6, it says that a toilet and bathroom sink combined is 2.5 wsfu of cold, 0.5 of hot, and 2.6 wsfu if combined.

Good point. I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees either.

As for why it is so high, look at TABLE P2903.1 to see that you are required to supply a one piece toilet at 6 gallons per minute! My guess is that it has something to do with making sure that the shutoff valve closes properly. Hopefully someone else has a real answer.

Terry's chart is a bit more realistic - https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

PC7060

Reaction score
Reach4 said:

Interesting, thanks for pointing this out Reach.

Since I have dual lavatories; adding the 0.5 for the second lav bring the total to 3 which can all be supplied with a single 1/2 branch per P2903.7 with 80PSI source

Certainly seems reasonable since a full bath group, toilet, lavatory, tub w/wo shower is listed as 2.7 for cold line in 2903.6.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks