Supply line size

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Clem, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Clem

Clem New Member

I am in the middle of replacing my water supply line from the meter to the house. I was originally going to replace with a 3/4" line. However the meter itself only has 1/2" line running through it. Would it make any sence to attach a 3/4" line from the meter to my house if what comes before it is 1/2"?

Thanks! Hope my question is clear.

Can you attach a 3/4" line to a 1/2" meter? The nut for the compression fitting attaching to the meter says something like "dresser type L 3/4" I was assuming that 3/4 meant you could go up to a 3/4" line?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

The size of the meter has little to do with the size of pipe you need. The length of the pipe determines the size. If it were a 1,000' feet you might need a 1 1/2" pipe with that 1/2" meter. The coupling probably means it is for type "L" copper tubing or a "copper tube sized" plastic pipe.
  3. Clem

Clem New Member

Thanks for your reply.