Supply Line Pipe Type & New Stop Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

L

Leko87

Hi everyone, first time poster.

I’m a paper pusher by trade and this plumbing stuff is completely out of my wheel house, yet I’m totally digging it!! I’m a little confused as to what I need to buy to replace the shut-off valve on my toilet supply line. I’m in the midst of a bathroom remodel and have replaced the shower arm/head and done the Delta 600 conversion (which I learned about thanks to Terry Love!) as well as replaced the sink faucet all myself. I’m about to lay new flooring and replace my toilet but want to also replace the shut off valve here with a 1/4 turn.

The home was built in the late 1980s, I’m not sure what type of pipe that is…. I doubt it’s chromed copper because it’s threaded, yet it doesn’t seem like galvanized pipe either. I measured the OD at ~.675, and using a chart I found on the interwebs I figured it’s 3/8 NPT?

ToiletSupLine_01.JPG ToiletSupLine_02.JPG

Everything I see on the Home Depot / Lowes sites seem to be compression or sweat fittings for copper, or 1/2 FIP fittings… none of which seems to fit my situation.

I’m loving every minute of doing this stuff myself, and I’m confident I can do the replacement, I just don’t have the knowledge nor expertise that most of you do and could use some help ensuring I buy the right parts. Thanks anyone for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That may be a 3/8" pipe nipple. I replaced the shutoffs for my brother in Virginia and that's what they were too.
However, I would buy the IP 3/8" x 3/8" comp and the 1/2" IP x 3/8" comp and have both on hand.
That is a chromed brass nipple, not copper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Love_(NGO_director)

L

Leko87

D'oh!!! Brass completely escaped my brain!!! Now that you say that I'm like "Oh yeah, Duh! It's brass!!" Thanks so much!!!!!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like 1/2" wall nipple from the picture, which is the more common size for that.

Just get a threaded angle stop and a matching flex supply line, turn the main off, remove the old supply connector and angle stop (using 2 wrenches, one to hold the nipple and one to turn the angle stop).

Apply tape on the thread and install the new angle stop and supply connector on. Easy?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks