Supplemental pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rbrtferry, Oct 9, 2007.

1. rbrtferry

rbrtferry New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Recently our well pump...down around 400 feet began to slow down and now only gives us 20 psi and runs all the time. I know it needs replacement but could I temporarily add another pump at the end to assist the water up to the top? I know of people with low pressure from city water and have had to do the same thing. I would probably connect it to the pressure switch ensuring they both kick on and off at the same time. :D
  2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Oct 20, 2005
    New Hampshire
    You have either a failed pump or a failed pipe from the pump to the tank. Someone with a clamp-on ammeter could determine which it is: Low amps means failed pump; high amps means failed pipe.

Adding a pump will not be a satisfactory fix because either the pump or the pipe will get worse. In the meantime it would cost you a lot of money for a new pump and a lot of money for electricity to run the bad pump in the well.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement