Superior pump vs Zoeller; Zoeller options

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Looking to replace a Stevens Sump pump that has been working for 10+ years (knock on wood).

We get quite a bit of water secondary to high water table. One storm last year the sump pit inlet looked like an open fire hydrant!!

Any opinions on the Superior pumps? I found them by looking for the VerticalMaster switch. I found that SJE makes Superior's version of the VerticalMaster, which they have for less than SJE.

On the Zoeller side, was thinking of the M57 over the M53 since it is all cast iron and only a few bucks more. Also, thinking of the M98 for the longer on/off range since I get so much water.

I have read a lot of people writing about the VerticalMaster switch as being more reliable. Can this switch be used with the M versions as I see the N version of these pumps are about $30 more? I have read that you need to secure the M version in the on position when using this switch.

How much greater pumping range does the VerticalMaster give over the standard switch on the Zoeller's?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Reaction score
Here is an old post that have comments but a search in this forum and you'll see dozens asking the same question. It's a life time argument. If you have Stevens and it's been rock solid for you, stay with Stevens.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/experience-with-stevens-sump-pumps.29489/

Thanks for the reply and link.

Unfortunately, Stevens is no longer in business. The new company/pumps seem to be difficult for a homeowner to acquire.

Interestingly, for all the negatives about diaphragms mine has been going strong, without problem since initial install during construction 11 years ago (knock on wood)

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Why replace it if its still working? Is there some "life expectancy" for the pump that you think you are close to? Is it making noise?
I imagine that the pump's life depends on how many hours it's run and the number of start-stop cycles.

Reaction score
It is
Why replace it if its still working? Is there some "life expectancy" for the pump that you think you are close to? Is it making noise?
I imagine that the pump's life depends on how many hours it's run and the number of start-stop cycles.

It is almost 11 years old. Most everything I have read talks about an 8-10 year max life.

It gets a lot of work with any amount of rain as we have s high water table.

A storm last year it ran probably 50 seconds of every minute for an hour. I thought it was broken unti I looked at the inlet on the sump pit and saw what looked like an open fire hydrant.

I also have a battery backup but thinking proactively about the primary. Especially since I can get an N57 and vertical pump float for $175.

Reaction score

Per recommendations from this site, I just replaced the 11 y.o Stevens pump with a Zoeller N57 with Superior pump float (actually a verticalmaster made by SJE, even has the vertical master tag on it, with SJE's part # etc).

Quite a difference in pumping capacity. The old pump was tired and on it's last leg.

Reaction score
We certainly got enough rain last night to test it out.
It was on for 10 seconds and off for 70 seconds for an hour. Surprisingly much quieter than the Stevens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks