Sunp Pump Discharge Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reicherb

Reaction score
We bought a new house and found the sump pump discharging into the septic tank. I have disconnected it and it's now discharging out the side wall above ground. I'd like to turn that pipe down into the ground and run it to the ditch which is about 100' away. The current discharge is 1.5" PVC. I can only go a couple of feet down or I'll be below the ditch but my feel is that it will freeze in our Michigan winters. I believe I've seen a baffle type device that will allow the water to discharge above ground if the pipe freezes but can't find such a device. Can someone point me to one? I'm also considering using 4" pipe underground to help stop the pipe from freezing solid. Does that make sense? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks,

Brad

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If it is going to the septic, Then there may be a reason.

Some codes do not allow you to pump water onto the ground, And can result in water well contamination.

What is the source of the water being pumped ?

Reicherb

Reaction score
Google for sump discharge air gap
Thanks. I still don't see anywhere actually selling the part though...

If it is going to the septic, Then there may be a reason.

Some codes do not allow you to pump water onto the ground, And can result in water well contamination.

What is the source of the water being pumped ?

The source is the footing drains as best I can tell. The crock has 2 clay tiles running into it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
This particular model is from www.ayersbasementsystems.com but something similar can be fashioned using basic plumbing bits and a hole saw. I just have mine shooting into an open end. If critters decide to go in it, they will just get flushed out the other end.

no-freeze-discharge.jpg

Reicherb

Reaction score
This particular model is from www.ayersbasementsystems.com but something similar can be fashioned using basic plumbing bits and a hole saw. I just have mine shooting into an open end. If critters decide to go in it, they will just get flushed out the other end.

no-freeze-discharge.jpg

You are basically leaving a 1.5" and 4" pipe an inch or two apart? That sounds like a perfectly acceptable option that I didn't think of because I was making it too complicated.

Thanks,

Brad

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks