Sunken tub, install a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy VH

Reaction score
I'm in the design stage of a big bathroom project. This is the really nice ceramic sunken tub and classic Kohler Rochelle toilet (works very well with updated cheap toilet valve I installed) in the main bath:
Bathview1.jpg
Bathview2.jpg

I plan to get the tub out of the floor, turn it 90 degrees clockwise, installed into a raised deck between the back wall and the toilet (it does fit, I mocked it up in cardboard). In the corner to the left of the current tub position I'll install an angled corner shower base with a heavy glass enclosure. I'll plumb the tub back to the original connections, so the water, drain and vent for the tub should be very similar to the current connections, with the exception to add in water and drain for the new shower.

The shower controls will be in the wall to the left of the current tub position. With the tub out of the floor I'll have access in the floor to plumb the water and drain lines from the current plumbing to the new shower.
I'll have access below the bathroom because it is over the garage. Above the bathroom, is a finished loft as part of the third bedroom. Given the position of the toilet, I assume the main vent goes up the wall behind the toilet.

So to my design issues: the new shower will need a vent line, probably 1.5", which I can route up inside the wall from below, and into the attic area. A current 8' long light fixture in the ceiling above the tub, when taken out, gives me access to route the vent line across the hallway ceiling and into the attic next to the loft. The shower drain should be easy to route to the current tub drain, with the right slope. I plan the tub drain to be below the shower drain level (then into the main soil stack). This way the water level of the tub cannot back flow up the shower drain into the shower base.

Am I on the right path? Should I at least hire a professional plumber, familiar with local codes, to review the design? I know I can do the work, as I have remodeled two home before this one. Any input, design ideas, corrections are welcome. Thanks!
Andy in Green Bay

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A shower requires a 2" drain, and your tub may only have 1.5", so you'll need to find where the drain line is at least 2" or more to connect the new shower. Code requires a minimum of 15" from the centerline of the toilet to any obstruction, so keep that in mind for your relocation of the tub. Other than that, I can't really help you any more.

Andy VH

Reaction score
A shower requires a 2" drain, and your tub may only have 1.5", so you'll need to find where the drain line is at least 2" or more to connect the new shower. Code requires a minimum of 15" from the centerline of the toilet to any obstruction, so keep that in mind for your relocation of the tub. Other than that, I can't really help you any more.

The current tub drain centerline is 55" from the toilet. Even after relocating the tub as planned, the drian centerline will be at least 24" from the toilet. Thanks for the details about the shower and tub drain size. My house was built in 1973 so I assume codes have changed a lot even since then.

sunken-tub-green.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're misunderstanding what I said. Disregard the drain line. When sitting on the toilet, there must be at least 15" to either side of the toilet to any obstruction such as a vanity, a tub, a wall, etc.

The actual distance to the toilet drain line isn't as important except when it comes to the fact you must maintain at least 1/4"/foot slope. The vent line on a 2" pipe must be attached within 60", on a 1.5" line, it's shorter...those measurements are critical, too.

Andy VH

Reaction score
You're misunderstanding what I said. Disregard the drain line. When sitting on the toilet, there must be at least 15" to either side of the toilet to any obstruction such as a vanity, a tub, a wall, etc.

The actual distance to the toilet drain line isn't as important except when it comes to the fact you must maintain at least 1/4"/foot slope. The vent line on a 2" pipe must be attached within 60", on a 1.5" line, it's shorter...those measurements are critical, too.
Thanks for clarifying that. I may have to make a slight adjustment to the deck design for the tub, but I will be able to maintain the minimum clearance around the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks