Sump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

PJL1969

Reaction score
A bit of background information:

I live in an area that has a higher than usual water table. The ground surrounding my home is properly graded and the downspouts from all the gutters drain with pvc pipe out to the street.

I have a sump pit which is aprox 14 in wide and 30 inches deep. The sides of the pit have a series of aprox 1/8 weep goig around the pit in concentric circles with the space in between each row being aprox 1 in. The pump is a 1/3 hp submerisable pump with a vertical flot switch.

Now my question:

My pit does not have a bottom, it just goes to the bottom where it is just sand/dirt. Is this normal ??? Why do most sump pits I see have a bottom to them and mine does not ?? I am no expert but is this perhaps becasue of the higher than usual water table which allows the water to simply come up from the ground into the sump pit ??

I am just concerned becasue water comes up through the bottom of the pit at a rate where my pump cycles about every 10 minutes continously even when not raining. I don't know if this is becasue my pit has no bottom to it --or if it's specifically designed to operate this way.

I can really use some expert advice and a suggestion as to what I should do, if anything at all.

Thanks very much.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Put some cement blocks in there to raise the pump off the bottom and set the pump on them... Sounds like a beauty!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't use cement blocks as it might raise the water level to high.

Try using a couple of bricks or a pieces of a busted patio block but first try scooping out the dirt to be sure there is no bottom.

Sometimes dirt can find its way into the pit and give the appearance there is no bottom.

Ideally you want the water level to be as low as possible.

PJL1969

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions which I will try this evening. I did dig down over 36 inches and it was still just sand/mud so I expect it should not be necessary to check any further for a bottom.

I guess though what I am trying to understand and learn more about is what is the reason for some pits having a bottom and others not having a bottom ??

Should all pits have a bottom or it depends upon the source of where your water is coming from which depnds upon the set-up installed at the time ?

Just doesn't seem much sense to me having installed a system with no bottom which allows mud/sand/etc... to flow up into the sump pit. There must be a reason why - I don't know.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't use cement blocks as it might raise the water level to high.

Try using a couple of bricks or a pieces of a busted patio block

Isn't patio block a cement block with just a little food coloring in the mix? LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks