Sump Pump - Zoeller?

Users who are viewing this thread

dougor

Reaction score
I have recently completed basement and want to make sure I am doing the things to make sure I am prepared. It seems like many folks on here are experts vs DIYers. I am a DIY trying to figure out what to request an Expert do at my house. Below I have a list of comments I learned on this site and any quesitons that I sure would like commnents on.

1) Zoeller Sump pumps seem to be the only good choice. However there aremany choices within. My sump runs when it rains and even a bit when its dry so it definately gets use. My question is which to choose? http://zoellerpumps.com/ProductByCategory.aspx?CategoryID=3

2) Check valve. my house is pretty new (3 years) and was build with the sump not having a check valve. Should this go in on top of the pump or up higher or lower? The pump goes up the 9 ft wall and then out.

3) Back up pump. Everything I read is that the watchdogs are junk but seem so simple. What is the best way to be backed up because of a power outage.

Thanks for any feedback!

mark5767

Reaction score
I'm also a DIY, but I've been operating an active 2 sump pit system for around 7 years without a flood. I recently replaced one pump (second replacement of this pump) with a Zoeller M53. Unless you've got an extreme amount of water flowing in a storm the M53 should be more than adequate at 43gpm.

I got my Zoeller at JH Larson (not Thompson as I mistakenly wrote originally) for around $120, they have locations in Wisconsin and are super nice. Also got some Zoeller check valves for $8. You need a check valve if there is not one on the pump already. The instructions tell you, with the M53 and Watchdog backups you need to add check valves. Also drill the anti airlock holes for these pumps per instructions.

Put the valves close to the pump, but above the cover is ok and I prefer this for ease of installation and keeping the pipes clean under the cover.

The switch on any pump is the weak link so you may want to have a decent extra switch you can add at some point if/when the pump switch fails. That's when clean pipes come in handy for securing an after market switch.

Watchdog is not a Cadillac system, but it's also not a junky Yugo. Maybe think of as a Chevy. The Special is very reasonable cost with a decent flow rate and good battery. The Big Dog is better but about twice the price.

I've been happy with the Special. Regardless of what you spend or choose, if your system is active, proper maintenance and periodic monitoring is the key. Make sure the back up works by testing every now and then. The pricier ones do this automatically, the Special you need to push the button which is very simple.

Last edited:

dougor

Reaction score
Thank you Mark... I am going to go with what you were saying and since I am in wisconsin I will look up JH Thompson (I couldn't find them on google). Also thanks for the analogy on watchdogs... they are so poo poo'd.... that I was not considering them but will now for added piece of mind. I was also suprised how cheap sump pump failure is for my homeowners insurance.

I'm also a DIY, but I've been operating an active 2 sump pit system for around 7 years without a flood. I recently replaced one pump (second replacement of this pump) with a Zoeller M53. Unless you've got an extreme amount of water flowing in a storm the M53 should be more than adequate at 43gpm.

I got my Zoeller at JH Thompson for around $120, they have locations in Wisconsin and are super nice. Also got some Zoeller check valves for $8. You need a check valve if there is not one on the pump already. The instructions tell you, with the M53 and Watchdog backups you need to add check valves. Also drill the anti airlock holes for these pumps per instructions.

Put the valves close to the pump, but above the cover is ok and I prefer this for ease of installation and keeping the pipes clean under the cover.

The switch on any pump is the weak link so you may want to have a decent extra switch you can add at some point if/when the pump switch fails. That's when clean pipes come in handy for securing an after market switch.

Watchdog is not a Cadillac system, but it's also not a junky Yugo. Maybe think of as a Chevy. The Special is very reasonable cost with a decent flow rate and good battery. The Big Dog is better but about twice the price.

I've been happy with the Special. Regardless of what you spend or choose, if your system is active, proper maintenance and periodic monitoring is the key. Make sure the back up works by testing every now and then. The pricier ones do this automatically, the Special you need to push the button which is very simple.

mark5767

Reaction score
Woops!

For the record, I think it's JH Larson, not JH Thompson, sorry about that!

They are a plumbing supply shop that does not appear to specialize much in retail, but they were still willing to work with me as a DIY.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks