Sump pump wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Do you mean that you have two cords coming from the pump? If so check out the manual that came with the pump and see if that is for a float switch connection. I am also from Delaware and just got done cleaning out two basements in New Castle that got flooded.

Ron

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it has provisions for an external switch, many are supplied as an in-line, simple attachment. I'm assuming one cord has a male and the other a female. If you were to plug those together, then plug it into the wall, it would run continuously. If you inserted a switch, it would trun on and off, depending on the float position.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the one with male and female openings is the external switch. To test the pump, you plug the OTHER one into the wall outlet to see if the pump runs. But, when you do that the pump will NEVER turn off until you unplug it, the plug t back into the switch to allow it to operater normally.

delaware guy

Reaction score
Do you mean that you have two cords coming from the pump? If so check out the manual that came with the pump and see if that is for a float switch connection. I am also from Delaware and just got done cleaning out two basements in New Castle that got flooded.

Ron

This may sound dum but here it is, The pump in guestion was installed in our new home in 06 and I really haven't paid much attetion to it up until the Haracaine, I did note over the years that I had to cords coming ut of the pit and pluged into the outlet and wondered thats interesting. Any I am planning to put in a watchdog system in. I was talking to some friends on Sunday and one said out of the blue ya know I have two wires comming from my pump. I havn't been down in the basement yet, so that's where it stands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks