Sump pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

snokel

Reaction score
Hi,
I had a radon system installed and they sealed my sump pump crock, it seems to work well, but there is no vent pipe, it just goes straight out .

How is it able to function being sealed? When it fills with water isn't the air the crock compressed?
I have been reading other threads about sealed under sink sump pumps and they refuse to pump if no vent is added to allow the compressed air to escape when the crock fills up?

So should I add a vent pipe to the sump crock? It had a cover on it all along, but now it's silicone sealed.
It has worked without issue during storms etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had a radon system installed and they sealed my sump pump crock, it seems to work well, but there is no vent pipe, it just goes straight out .
By your second "it", do you mean the water from the pump?

snokel

Reaction score
Correct, no vent, just one pipe that discharges the water out of the house and into sewer.
and the cover of the crock is bolted and silicone sealed shut, so when it fills with water there has to be a lot of compression of the
air in the crock.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think there should be a vent to the outside.

Glued shut like that will make it hard to change the pump. I would put in an alarm to let you know if the water rises above its normal range. Also have a plan as to what to do if the sump pump fails.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks