Sump Pump Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chetwynd, Jan 3, 2006.

1. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

Can anyone tell me what kind of bucket and cover (if necessary) to use for a sump pump under a house in the dirt crawl space? Is a regular 5-gallon bucket with no cover OK?

Does the drain line coming out of it have to be sloped down at the end? :confused:

I guess I have to use PVC and not ABS, right?

Thank you in advance!
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

pump

How is the water going to get into the vessel that you are planning to use for your pump ?
  3. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

go to h depot. they sell plastic sump pits and pipes. the ridgid 1 1/2 hp is a good pump. need check valve directly above water outlet
  4. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

more...

Planning on digging a hole, burying a bucket flush with the grade, surrounding it with some rocks, putting some holes in the bucket sides and bottom, and running it outside the house...

Unless you have any suggestions?
  5. sumppumppimp

sumppumppimp New Member

6. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

zoeller

yeah that setup is OK, but the catch basin is too small. That thing would be coming on every 5 minutes. Needs more capacity, more depth, bigger overall. let me know when you come up with a bigger basin.
  7. 7 gallon bucket

its best to install a large pit

but if you dont want to dig that much

you could get a 7 gallon bucket and get

Zoeller supm pump to install in it.....

the bucket isnt really supposed to be used, but I see

them all the time.....
  8. sumppumppimp

sumppumppimp New Member

Oh we have larger basins 72"x240", :D you just have to let us know what size you want, but I was going on the info you gave in the post (a 5 gallon bucket), I gave you a pkg system that is pretty much the same size as what you posted! Besides, when the pump is in the bucket, it is going to reduce the area to about 3 gallons anyways. :D