Sump pump pit or crock

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
Hi
my sump crock is a perforated one but it also has the black drain pipe in it .This drain pipe enters the sump crock about 5 inches down from the top of the crock itself , sets way above the sump pump .
There seems to be no water coming out of the black pipe only through the perforated holes .
The house was built 10 years ago with 4 inch drain tile at the foundation of the basement.
the basement is dry .
The pump crock sets way out about 15 feet from the basement wall on all sides and this means a lot of pipe to pump water through .
I want to move this closer to the wall and I guess my question is why a crock with perforated holes and the drain line enter into it.
The drain line is dry I put my finger in it and can not feel any moisture seems all the water enter the crock from the perforated holes.. Guess I want to know why the drain line and holes and if the sump pit can be moved closer to the wall

Reach4

Reaction score
I would ask your neighbors if they had their houses built by the same builder. Those on lower lots may be getting more water to deal with.

Don't assume that pipe will say dry if there is a lot of rain.

The purpose of the perforated pit/crock is to let water from the gravel under the concrete floor to seep in to be pumped away. Why is the pipe dry? Dunno. Maybe the perimeter drain is a little higher, and the holes have been able to keep up so far.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The system is designed for a higher water level or the piping has collapsed or is plugged with soil. Depending on the builder, there can be footing drains inside and or outside the footing, and less common but occasionally additional piping is routed around under the slab to help with drainage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks