sump pump never runs

Users who are viewing this thread

ajonen

Reaction score
After a year of wondering why our sump pump never runs we finally found a broken pipe in the basement. We got that fixed, but the sump pump still is not running. I suspect there is another broken pipe somewhere.
What is the easiest way of finding broken pipes under your cement floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the sump filling up and overflowing? The float switch could be bad, the outlet bad, the circuit breaker tripped, the motor burned out. If the sump isn't filling up, then the pump won't turn on. If there's water there, but it doesn't get high enough, the pump won't turn on.

ajonen

Reaction score
The sump pump runs if I make it run. The sump whole never gets water in it as the water is going down the sewer drain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure I'd worry! There's another poster here that would be glad to trade with you...her's runs all the time.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You do need to periodically make it run or when you do need it to run it will be a locked up rust ball that won't run.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks